Table of Contents
If you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment, you must be aware of the common braces problems. While most people are very careful during their treatment, some tend to let loose while traveling. However, this can land you in some serious dental problems and have a negative impact on your treatment since your braces require constant care.
Taking Care of Braces While On VacationFollow these useful tips to care for your braces while you’re out to have fun: Be Careful of What You Eat – While traveling, you may be tempted to try the regional cuisine and new delicacies that you won’t get to eat anywhere else. But as much as this may be tempting, you need to understand that it’s more important to take care of braces while traveling since it may be troublesome finding a good dentist in a foreign place if the braces are damaged. So, better than regretting it later, avoid these foods if you have braces, especially when traveling:
- Sticky foods such as gum, licorice, dried fruit, caramel, etc.
- Hard foods such as nuts, hard taco shells, pizza crust, corn, apples, carrots, bagels, etc.
- Sugary foods like cake, candy, ice cream, cookies, etc.
Don’t Ditch Your Oral Hygiene RoutineProper dental care is not only important for oral health but also critical to the efficiency of the dental treatment. So, if you start thinking that it’s alright to ditch the oral hygiene routine for just a few days while traveling, remember that your oral health will definitely take a hit. Follow this hygiene routine diligently:
- Brush and floss, in the morning, after meals, and before going to sleep.
- Use mouthwash if brushing and flossing aren’t possible after meals while on a vacation.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue and the palate.