You can probably imagine that braces have come a long way since their introduction to the public in the early 1900s. Fortunately, technological advances and product development in the 1970s helped to bring orthodontic treatment to its present success. The experience has since become completely safe, comfortable, and affordable for the majority of people.
Traditional metal braces are still the most common type, so I’d like to go into a little more detail about how those work and what you can expect if you choose this treatment option.
How Braces Straighten Your Teeth
The concept and basic method of straightening teeth is the same across the board: braces straighten your teeth over time using pressure, which gradually moves your teeth into alignment. In order to do this, your orthodontist will attach brackets to very specific places on the teeth. The brackets are attached in such a way that will allow the archwire to appear straight only once the teeth are in proper alignment. The archwire is attached to the brackets using tiny, colorful rubber bands called ligatures. Many people find this fun because they can choose different colors at each visit. In extreme cases, your brackets and archwire may look pretty silly when the process first begins, but by the end of your journey, your teeth will look straight and beautiful.
Braces can do more than just straighten the teeth. They help realign and strengthen the jaw as well as closing gaps and correcting crossbites, underbites, and overbites. Not to mention that if the teeth have caused problems with eating or speaking because of misalignment, braces can help alleviate those issues as well.
Typically, you can expect some of the following side effects with traditional metal braces.
- Adjustments may cause some discomfort.
- Sores may occur inside the mouth if a bracket irritates the gums.
- Food guidelines are put into place to keep your teeth healthy and the braces functional.
- In some cases, de-calcification can occur. This generally isn’t a concern if the teeth are brushed properly and often.
Of course not everyone will experience all of these side effects, as every mouth is different. The most important rule is to follow what your orthodontist tells you for the best possible results.
Our mission is to create spectacular smiles for you and your loved ones. Though there is a lot of information about braces that I encourage you to research, you can find a great deal of it here, whether you choose Premier Orthodontics or not!
Here are a few ways you can learn more if you’re in Arizona.
- Instantly download one of our free reports: Top 10 Things You Should Know Before Choosing An Orthodontist and Does Your Child Really Need Braces?
- Call 480.361.4600 to schedule you or your child’s Premier Orthodontics Smile Analysis. For a limited time, Premier Orthodontics is offering a $250 savings certificate for your initial visit, which includes your initial exam, consultation, and digital X-rays FREE.
- Submit your questions online via our online contact form, or call 480.361.4600.