For some people, invisible braces make the most sense, so I’d like to go over two different invisible options: lingual braces and Invisalign®. Though not all orthodontists offer lingual braces, I still believe it’s important for you to learn about them so that there’s no mystery behind the name.
Lingual Braces Behind Your Teeth
This type of braces is less common than most other kinds. This is probably because they tend to be more expensive and more difficult all around, so it makes sense that not all orthodontists offer this option. Lingual brackets are custom-made for each individual tooth and cemented to the tongue-side of the teeth. Because they aren’t on the front of the teeth, this gives them the appearance of being invisible.
- When you smile, people can’t see the braces.
- Lingual braces have become more manageable than ever because of technological advancements.
- The brackets can cause soreness on the tongue.
- In some cases, a speech impediment may occur for three months or more.
- Lingual braces are more difficult to access for your orthodontist, resulting in longer appointment times.
- They tend to be more difficult to clean.
- Not all orthodontists offer lingual braces.
Invisalign® has become a popular way to straighten teeth over the last few years. You may remember seeing commercials on TV for these clear braces when they first launched. Plastic alignment trays are used to gradually move teeth to a new position over time. Typically, a new tray is used every two or three weeks. This method of straightening your teeth is beneficial to anyone who doesn’t like the idea of hardware in their mouth.
- No food restrictions because you take the trays out to eat.
- Removable trays.
- No sores.
- Trays are invisible.
- Edges may need to be filed down.
- This method requires a lot of self-discipline.
- Trays have to be cleaned separately.
- The trays should be removed if you ingest anything but water.
- You have to brush after every meal.
The best way to know which option is the right one for you is by consulting with an orthodontist in your area. If you’ve read through some of our blogs and our website but still want more information about Premier Orthodontics, please don’t hesitate to give us a call!
Our mission is to create spectacular smiles for you and your loved ones. Though there is a lot of information about braces that I encourage you to research, you can find a great deal of it here, whether you choose Premier Orthodontics or not!
Here are a few ways you can learn more if you’re in Arizona.
- Instantly download one of our free reports: Top 10 Things You Should Know Before Choosing An Orthodontist and Does Your Child Really Need Braces?
- Call 480.361.4600 to schedule you or your child’s Premier Orthodontics Smile Analysis. For a limited time, Premier Orthodontics is offering a $250 savings certificate for your initial visit, which includes your initial exam, consultation, and digital X-rays FREE.
- Submit your questions online via our online contact form, or call 480.361.4600.