No matter what treatment option you choose, caring for your teeth as well as your braces is an important part of any treatment plan. Though good oral hygiene habits are essential anyway, they become even more so once you have braces. That’s because – especially if you have brackets on your teeth – bacteria and food particles have so many more places to get stuck in and hide.
Here are some basic guidelines for your oral health, especially if you have braces.
Brush Your Teeth… A LOT!
Brushing your teeth regularly is one of the most important things you can do to maintain a spectacular smile. Though this is important whether you have braces or not, with braces it’s crucial. If you have braces and don’t brush enough, bacteria and cavities can hide in all of those tiny spaces and crevices. Left unchecked, this bacteria can begin to form cavities.
Some of the problems you may develop if you don’t brush often are:
- Bad breath.
Your orthodontist will make recommendations to you about how often to brush your teeth when you have braces, and sometimes this depends on what type of braces you have. Brushing your teeth as directed is the difference between a spectacular smile and a neglected one.
Floss Your Teeth, Too
Flossing is another important aspect of taking good care of your teeth. After all, once your adult teeth have come in, those are the only natural teeth you’ll have for the rest of your life. You can think of flossing as a way to deep-clean the nooks and crannies in your mouth.
A truly great oral health habit would include the following steps at least twice a day:
- Flossing to remove debris from between your teeth.
- Brushing to scrub your teeth and braces. Since you already flossed, the toothpaste can get between your teeth, which helps to clean and disinfect.
- Use a mouthwash or rinse to disinfect your whole mouth. If mouthwash burns your mouth, go for a brand without alcohol or you can even make a natural mouthwash at home.
Follow Your Orthodontist’s Instructions
No matter what type of braces you have, your orthodontist knows how to care for them to achieve the best possible results. Listen to your orthodontist! Your teeth will thank you for it.
Our mission is to create spectacular smiles for you and your loved ones. Though there is a lot of information about braces that I encourage you to research, you can find a great deal of it here, whether you choose Premier Orthodontics or not!
Here are a few ways you can learn more if you’re in Arizona.
- Instantly download one of our free reports: Top 10 Things You Should Know Before Choosing An Orthodontist and Does Your Child Really Need Braces?
- Call 480.361.4600 to schedule you or your child’s Premier Orthodontics Smile Analysis. For a limited time, Premier Orthodontics is offering a $250 savings certificate for your initial visit, which includes your initial exam, consultation, and digital X-rays FREE.
- Submit your questions online via our online contact form, or call 480.361.4600.